Ethnic Rhinoplasty – Best Nose Job for different Ethnic Groups in Sydney Australia
Ethnic Rhinoplasty is a nose reshaping procedure or a nose job performed to improve and enhance the shape of the nose for different ethnic groups. The complex surgical procedure involves reshaping and reconstruction of the cartilages and bones in the nose. Rhinoplasty can also be done to enhance the facial appearance or to improve breathing if you have a deviated nasal septum. It can be done for other conditions like cleft lip, cleft palate, chronic allergies causing nasal inflammation, or any mass in the nose.
Different kinds of noses require different types of rhinoplasty. Nose jobs depend upon the results you want to achieve or the condition for which you are undergoing a rhinoplasty. Traditional rhinoplasty aims to create a specific type of structure of the nose. Many procedures also leave the nose with a pinched-out and out-of-proportion appearance. The traditional Rhinoplasty procedure does not typically take into consideration the preferences and traits of your ethnicity.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Jeremy Hunt has completed hundreds of successful nose surgeries in Australia. Dr Hunt is a well-known Sydney plastic surgeon and nose surgeon who practices in Sydney and Wollongong.
What is ethnic rhinoplasty?
An ethnic rhinoplasty is a specialised form of rhinoplasty where the shape of the nose is altered without losing or diminishing the unique characteristic of your ethnicity. This procedure takes special care to retain the features that are a product of specific ethnicity. Ethnic rhinoplasty works with these features and incorporates them into the new design of the nose. Many people don’t want to lose sight of who they are, where their family is from and their particular ethnic heritage when getting a rhinoplasty.
Ethnic rhinoplasty will preserve your facial heritage and is a relatively novel concept but is gaining quick popularity as it creates a well-balanced look to suit your ethnicity.
How is an ethnic rhinoplasty different?
So, what is the difference between a rhinoplasty and an ethnic rhinoplasty? Both procedures are similar. They use the same methods and techniques to accomplish aesthetic changes. However, ethnic rhinoplasty pays special attention to your unique facial features and nasal structures. It creates a natural look of the nose that does not seem to be surgically corrected. It’s a nose job without compromising your physiognomy.
Ethnic rhinoplasty is an in-depth and complicated technique that will benefit from a highly skilled set of surgical hands. Certain nasal characteristics can pose a problem for surgeons lacking experience in performing ethnic rhinoplasty. Only trust plastic surgeons with the highest levels of skill for a successful ethnic rhinoplasty.
What are the different types of Ethnic Nose?
- Indo-European or Caucasian noses are taller and thinner,
- A Middle Eastern or Mediterranean nose is usually longer and slightly droopy. The nasal tips are bulbous, the bridges are prominent, and have a large dorsal hump.
- People of Hispanic, Middle Eastern, or Mediterranean descent have dorsal humps over their nasal bridge.
- Asian or Latino noses have features in between these two.
- People of Hispanic, African, or Asian descent have thicker nasal skin. They tend to have more tissues underneath the skin of the nose than Caucasians do.
- Another peculiar feature of Asian noses is that they have a flared nasal base, with wider-than-average nostrils. The nasal bridge is low and wide and so is the tip.
- Africans typically have a broad and flat nose.
What are the types of ethnic rhinoplasty procedures?
The various reshaping procedures are:
- Caucasian rhinoplasty: Typically aims to straighten the bridge of the nose and reduce the dorsal hump
- Middle Eastern rhinoplasty: Also intends to straighten the bridge of the nose along with the refinement of the nasal tip and narrowing the nose
- Asian rhinoplasty: Aims to create a narrow nose, refine the nasal tip and increase the definition of the nasal bridge
- Hispanic rhinoplasty: Aims to resolve the concern of a droopy nasal tip, creating a lifted or refined tip. It also intends to narrow the nostril width and remove the side bumps on the nasal bridge
- African American rhinoplasty: Intends to achieve a defined or narrow nasal bridge, refined nasal tip shape, and narrow width of the nostril
How is ethnic rhinoplasty performed?
Ethnic rhinoplasty begins with a pre-operative consultation during which Dr Hunt will examine your nose. He will also determine if you should undergo the procedure or not based on the maturity of your nose. Your medical history will be reviewed, and a treatment plan will be recommended for you. Pictures of your nose will be taken for a before and after comparison. You will also be given specific instructions that should be followed before the procedure to ensure optimal results. On the day of the procedure, it is recommended that you do not wear makeup. The nose and the surrounding area will be cleaned and numbing cream will be applied. This will keep you at ease during the procedure.
What can you expect from an ethnic rhinoplasty?
An ethnic rhinoplasty procedure can help improve and enhance the appearance of your nose while respecting and preserving your ethnic characteristics. Results are visible soon after the procedure but the swelling may obscure the appearance. Improvements in your areas of concern will be noticed once your swelling goes down and your skin heals.
Ethnic rhinoplasty can help reduce the appearance of a bulbous nose tip. It can narrow the overall width of the nose, build and strengthen a flattened nasal bridge and achieve a well-balanced and aesthetically pleasing look.
What is the recovery like?
Recovery after ethnic rhinoplasty depends upon the extent of your surgical procedure. However, your skin should be healed completely within two to four days. You are also most likely to return to normal activities within two to three weeks.
Immediately following the procedure you may experience mild pain, bruising, and swelling at the site. This is completely normal and may take up to 48 hours to resolve. You will be given anti-inflammatory medications for controlling the post-operative symptoms. Avoid consuming alcohol for 24 hours following the procedure. Do not touch, rub or press the nose for about two weeks. If you wear prescription glasses, switch to contact lenses for this period.
It is important to properly follow your surgeon’s directions and advice for a quick and complete recovery. Your surgeon may also recommend the following:
- Ice the area
- Wear a nasal splint
- Breathe through the nose for a few days after the procedure
- Sleep with the head elevated
- Eat a healthy and nutritious diet
How much does ethnic rhinoplasty cost in Sydney?
The cost of ethnic rhinoplasty depends upon the type of procedure performed. The differences in the cost of different rhinoplasty procedures are due to the specific techniques used in each procedure, the expertise required, and additional surgical costs like anaesthesia. After your initial consultation, you will get an exact quote for the ethnic rhinoplasty cost.
Call Dr Hunt’s team for an estimate or visit the Pricing Page for more information.
Ethnic Rhinoplasty FAQs
What is the best age for an ethnic nose job?
- It’s best to get to an ethnic nose job when your nose is fully developed. This is achieved at around 18 years for males and 16 years for females. Dr Hunt will examine your nose to determine whether it has reached maturity and you are eligible for the procedure.
Why should I get an ethnic rhinoplasty?
- Ethnic rhinoplasty is a nose job that preserves your cultural identity. A one-size-fits-all concept of traditional rhinoplasty fails to preserve your ethnic identity. It does not take into account the rich assortment of facial shapes and characteristics that are present in our society. Apart from being aesthetically appropriate, ethnic rhinoplasty is also beneficial from a medical standpoint. Giving a Native American, Middle Eastern, or African American face the nose of a Caucasian may result in potential breathing issues. It may also increase the risk for multiple or revision surgeries.
What is the perfect ethnic nose?
- There are many views regarding the concept of the perfect nose. Expert plastic surgeons have analysed the ideal nose shape for women. New research claims that a perfect nose should be slightly upturned. The optimum angle of rotation at the nasal tip should be 106 degrees when measured from the lip up. Celebrities with the perfect nasal angle are Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, Scarlett Johansson, and Kate Beckinsale. The range of nose rotation for the perfect nose is 90 to 100 degrees for men and 95 to 110 degrees for women. Rotation of the nose at an angle less than 90 degrees, makes a woman’s nose look long, droopy, and masculine.
- That being said, the perfect ethnic nose must fit your face. Your chin and nose must work well together for your face. Dr Hunt will perform an in-depth facial analysis during your ethnic rhinoplasty consultation appointment to determine the best type of nose job for you. You should avoid having the wrong nose for your face!
Can your nose tell your ethnicity?
- A person’s nose, eyes, and mouth tell a lot about your ancestry and cultural heritage. Different ethnic groups have different internal and external nasal characteristics. The geographical origins of your ancestry determine the shape of your nose. A nose with a narrow bridge and nostrils is a genetic adaptation to a cold and dry climate. Narrow nostrils can trap and heat the air before it is inhaled. Likewise, people descending from warm and humid climates have wider nostrils. In short, there is a gradual decrease in the width of the nostril and nose in people living far away from the equator.
Which ethnic group has the biggest nose?
- People of African descent have the widest and the biggest nose as compared to people of other ethnicities. They have enlarged nostrils, round and wide tips, and lack a protruded nasal bridge. People from North Africa have a relatively smaller nose as compared to West Africans.
Which race has the longest nose?
- In general people of the European or Mediterranean race have a long nose compared to other ethnic groups in the world. A Turkish man currently holds the Guinness World Record for having the world’s longest recorded nose.
What is an Italian nose?
- An Italian nose has a prominent nasal bridge. Also known as a Roman nose or an aquiline nose, an Italian nose gives a curved or slightly bent appearance. This eagle beak-like appearance of the nose has been considered to be a marker of nobility and beauty. The Italian nose was considered to be superior to others when equated with intelligence, status, personality, and power. There is, however, no scientific evidence or studies to support these claims.
Can you get a subtle nose job?
- A subtle nose job can be achieved with an ethic rhinoplasty as it focuses on maintaining the nose structures like nasal bone, cartilage, and soft tissue in a natural position. This creates a natural contour of the nose which does not make it look artificial or surgically corrected.
Can ethnic nose jobs look natural?
- Ethnic nose jobs will look natural when the shape, curvature, and profile of your nose will complement your facial features based on ethnicity, natural anatomy, and gender. The key for a natural nose job or natural rhinoplasty is harmony over perfection.
Further Reading about Nose Surgery & Different Types of Noses
- Read Dr Hunt’s Nose Surgery page
- Read Dr Hunt’s Rhinoplasty page
- See Dr Hunt’s Real Patient Nose Surgery Before and After Photos
- Blog How to find the Best Nose Surgeon Sydney
Medical References about Ethnic Rhinoplasty
About Dr Jeremy Hunt – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Jeremy Hunt is one of Australia’s leading specialist plastic surgeons for breast, body, face and nose surgery. He is a member of FRACS & ASPS and has over 20 years of experience providing expert cosmetic and plastic surgery in Sydney.
Careful, considerate and honest, Dr Jeremy Hunt works with you to find a solution that is best for your body and your lifestyle. Every patient is unique and, through his expert guidance, can achieve the best possible results.
Dr Hunt’s personal, one-on-one service and attention to detail has given thousands of women and men from the Sydney & Wollongong NSW area and across Australia the confidence and body shape they desire.
Dr Hunt’s qualifications and education
Dr Jeremy A Hunt MBBS FRACS graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree from Sydney University in 1990 and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and member of ASPS – the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons. He completed a Fellowship at the prestigious University of Texas in the United States, where he learnt from some of the world’s very best plastic surgeons.
Next Step – Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call on 1300 157 200 or contact us
If breast reduction is something you’re considering, Dr Hunt can thoroughly explain all the options to you in a one-on-one consultation.
- Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health professional.