Fleur de lis abdominoplasty is a type of abdominal surgery, usually for people with excess skin across their abdomen. If you’re wondering whether a fleur de lis abdominoplasty is worth it, there are a few things to consider. In this article, we will go through some of the important things to think about when planning this abdominal surgery.
You should keep in mind that the best way to find out if you’re a candidate for the surgery is to speak to a professional. Dr Hunt is a well-qualified and certified plastic surgeon in Sydney. He can help you understand the procedure and whether it’s right for your goals and health.
What is a fleur de lis abdominoplasty?
So what actually is fleur de lis? Fleur de lis abdominoplasty is a procedure that is often undergone after weight loss or pregnancy. It is so named because of the shape of the incision – a three-pronged shape that resembles a symbol called the fleur-de-lis, or ‘lily flower’ in English.
The surgery aims to remove a large amount of abdominal tissue from the abdomen. This usually involves excising a portion of skin and fat from both the upper and lower torso.
Although there are many reasons why someone might choose this procedure, it’s commonly done to remove loose skin after massive weight loss. It can also be done for women who have excess abdominal skin after pregnancy. Post-pregnancy patients should have completed their families and finished breastfeeding before seeking surgery.
How does the procedure differ from ordinary abdominoplasty?
Fleur de lis abdominoplasty differs from traditional abdominoplasty surgery. It involves a larger incision that addresses excess tissue on both the upper and lower abdomen. In contrast, the traditional procedure only removes tissue from the lower abdomen.
This means a fleur de lis abdominoplasty is often better suited to people who not only have loose skin on the lower torso, but who also want to remove tissue from the upper portion of the abdomen.
There are many different types of abdominoplasty, including the following:
- ‘Mini’ abdominoplasty
- Extended abdominoplasty
- Circumferential (belt lipectomy)
- Fleur de lis
If you’re not sure which type of surgery would suit you, it may be of benefit to consult with a qualified plastic surgeon such as Dr Hunt in Sydney.
Who is a candidate?
If you’re wondering whether the procedure could be right for you, it’s important to know that not every person is a candidate. There are certain requirements for candidates to ensure that they are physically and mentally fit for the procedure.
Candidates for fleur de lis abdominoplasty should:
- Have good physical health, with no severe medical conditions
- Be prepared to avoid blood-thinning medications
- Be prepared to follow aftercare and recovery instructions
- Have a significant degree of excess tissue on the upper and lower abdomen
- Be willing to quit smoking for several weeks prior to and after surgery
Women seeking the procedure should also not be planning to have more children in the future. This is because future pregnancies can reverse the outcomes of surgery and lead to more risks if subsequent surgeries are done.
Is it worth it? – Things to consider
Here are some things to think about if you’re considering getting this procedure:
- Cost– Although some patients may be eligible for a Medicare rebate (if they meet certain criteria), all patients will have at least some out-of-pocket costs. You should consider this before surgery and discuss the cost with your chosen surgeon.
- Recovery– You should also be prepared for the recovery process. Since fleur de lis is an extensive surgery, the recovery will also be extensive. You should prepare yourself with the proper support and ensure that you are able to follow all of the aftercare instructions.
- Risks– Even if you choose a good surgeon and take all the appropriate steps during recovery, there’s always the risk that something could go wrong. You should make sure that you understand the potential complications and ask your surgeon about these before making your decision.
Reasons to choose Dr Hunt for Fleur De Lis Abdominoplasty in Sydney
Only you can truly answer whether you think fleur de lis abdominoplasty will be worth it in your case. To make an informed decision, it’s vital to be educated on the topic and consult with a professional plastic surgeon who can guide you. Dr Jeremy Hunt is available for consultations and to answer any questions you might have about this surgical procedure.
Dr Hunt will examine your condition, ask you about your motives and goals, and help you understand your options. This consultation process is important, as it gives you the chance to get personalised advice that takes your personal circumstances into account. Read more about fleur de lis abdominoplasty surgery, or get in touch with our team in Sydney.