Differences between a Lip Flip and a Lip Filler for Lip Enhancement Sydney
With ageing, your lips can start losing their definition and fine lines can form around the edges. Lip flip and lip filler procedures can help restore the beauty of your lips. A Lip flip and lip filler are totally different procedures, so you need to know the difference between the procedures to get the desirable results. The lip filler procedure is recommended if you want to augment the size of the lips and can also change their shape, providing fuller luscious lips.
What is a Lip Flip?
A Lip flip is a new procedure in which cosmetic injections of botulinum toxin or botox are used on the lips. These injections can relax the nerves of orbicularis muscles which are in the upper lip. The procedure allows the upper lip to ‘flip’ outward and provide fullness. The procedure is best for you if your upper lip is smaller than your lower. A Lip flip is helpful to reduce a gummy smile.
How is the Lip Flip Performed?
2 to 3 days before the procedure you need to avoid drinking alcohol or taking blood thinner. The procedure takes up to 10 minutes. Usually, the injecting nurse will not use anaesthesia because the procedure is not painful. The nurse injects Botox to relax the muscle and create the flip effect.
Pros of Lip Flip:
- A Lip flip procedure is a safe and minimally invasive procedure for lip enhancement
- The procedure is effective for those who have gummy smiles
- A Lip flip can take up to 10 minutes, so the procedure is quick and simple
- The treatment is less costly as compared with lip filler
- There is no downtime after the lip flip procedure, so you can start your normal routine after the completion of the treatment
- You can see the significant results within 1 to 2 days and can lasts up to 8 to 12 weeks
Cons of Lip Flip:
- The results of lip flip don’t last as long as the results of lip filler
- You may feel numbness and swell on the treated area after the treatment
How Long Do the Results Last?
Lip flip results are not permanent and last up to 2 to 3 months. When you notice that your lip flip results are wearing off, you should consult your injector. You need a touch-up treatment to maintain the results.
Potential Complications after Lip Flip:
There are usually no complications after the lip flip, but you may experience minor side effects. They can include:
What Is a Lip Filler?
Lip fillers are injections with hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is naturally formed in our body that can be helpful to provide volume and restore moisture to the skin. Fillers are injected into the Vermillion border of the lip to increase volume. It can be an effective procedure to get soft, poutier, and fuller lips. Lip filler also fills in the lines around the lips to smooth the appearance of the skin.
Lip Filler Procedure:
During the lip filler procedure, the nurse injector may apply topical anaesthesia to numb your lips. The procedure may take at least 30 minutes. The injector may use thin needles to inject the hyaluronic acid filler into the lips. Lip filler can be injected in all areas of lips including vermillion border, corners of your mouth, and Cupid’s bow. During this process, you do not feel any pain but you might experience a pinching sensation. The injector might also apply ice packs during the process to minimise the swelling and bruising.
Pros of Lip Filler:
- Lip filler can provide longer-lasting results – up to one year
- The chances of allergic reactions are very low
- You can notice the results of lip fillers immediately
- Fillers can be helpful to make your lips plumper and smooth the lines around the lips
- The treatment has minimal downtime
- The lip volume depends on how much hyaluronic acid gel is injected into your lips and can be controlled by your injector
Cons of Lip Filler:
- The Lip filler procedure is more expensive than lip flip
- You may experience some side effects but they do not last for a longer period
How Long Does Lip Filler Result Last?
You can see immediate results after lip filler treatment. The results will last up to one year and you can talk to your surgeon about the touch-up procedure.
Potential Risks and Complications after Lip Filler:
After lip filler, you may experience the following side effects.
- Mild pain
- Swelling and inflammation
How Can I Choose between Lip Flip and Lip Filler?
Lip flip is used to reshape and lip filler is used to enhance the volume of the lips. You can consult your injector and he will tell you which is better for you. If you want to get more volume to the lips then you can choose lip filler treatment. If you are satisfied with the volume of your lips and want to add a bit of projection on your lips, so the lip flip is the best option for you.
Combination of Lip Flip and Lip Filler:
If you want to enhance the volume and control the shape of your lips, then you can combine both lip flip as well as lip filler procedures. The combination procedure can give the best and most desirable results. During this process, the lip flip can define the shape of your Cupid’s bow while lip filler can enhance the volume of the lips.
FAQs about Lip Enhancement
Is lip flip more effective than lip filler?
- The lip flip is an effective procedure to enhance the natural shape of your lips. The procedure is considered a minimally invasive and safe procedure for lip enhancement. A Lip flip is a different procedure than lip filler, but lip flip is less expensive as compared with lip filler. A Lip flip also accentuates the results of the lip filler process.
Does lip flip make your lips appear bigger?
- Lip flips contain botulinum toxin which relaxes your upper lip and it points upward. The procedure does not make your look appear fuller, it is used to adjust the shape of the lips.
What is the aftercare of lip flip?
- After lip flip, you should not do exercise for at least 24 hours. Then, you may experience a small bump at the injection sites, so you can apply a wrapped ice pack on it. You should avoid sleeping face down after the treatment for some days.
At what age can you start getting lip flips?
- Lip flip is approved for people who are 18 years or older. Most injectors agree to perform lip flips o people who are in their 20s and 30s.
Does lip flip change the smile?
- The lip flip can make your lips fuller, and poutier and also add more definition to the upper lip. So, it can show relaxed fullness during a smile and change the shape of your natural smile.
How do I maintain the results of a lip flip?
- Lip flip is an effective procedure that gives your lips a poutier appearance. During this procedure, the injector injects botulinum toxin into the top of your upper lip. For maintenance, you need to get touch-up treatment after every 2 to 4 months.
Do my lips look natural after a lip flip?
- During the lip flip procedure, your surgeon injects botulinum toxin into the upper lips. After some days, the injections make your lips appear fuller and poutier. Lip flip looks more natural as compared with lip filler.
Do my lips go back to normal after a lip filler?
- Since lip filler is a temporary procedure, so it can dissolve in your body and your lips look normal. The speed of absorbing the hyaluronic acid gel depends on the metabolism and lips return to the normal volume after the hyaluronic acid is completely dissolved.
How can I tell if my friend has lip filler?
- If you are familiar with the face of the person, you may notice the prominent enhancement in lip size. You may also notice swelling on the lips area which is common due to lip filler treatment. If you have seen a minor bruising on the lips of your friend, there is a chance that he/she may get lip filler.
Does my lip volume reduce if I stop lip fillers?
- If you stop getting lip filler injections, your lips will shrink back to their normal volume.
Does lip filler cause pain?
- Lip filler is a minimally invasive procedure that does not cause pain.
Can I get a combined treatment of lip filler and lip flip?
- Yes, you can get combined treatment of lip filler and lip flip at the same time. These two treatments have different primary ingredients, in other words, hyaluronic acid is used in lip filler while botulinum toxin is used in lip flip. Therefore, you can get lip filler and lip flip treatment at the same time but injections target different areas of the lips.
Does lip filler last longer than normal the second time?
- The longevity of the lip filler depends on the types of filler that are used for the treatment. Often, injectors may use hyaluronic acid filler which lasts up to 6 to 18 months. In some cases, the time period may be a little bit longer or shorter.
Does the injector use anaesthesia on your lips before lip fillers?
- The injector may apply numbing cream or topical anaesthesia to the lips before the lip filler treatment. It takes at least 30 minutes to start working.
What is better – lip flip or lip filler for my lips?
- Lip flip and lip filler are two different procedures and are used for different purposes. If you have thinner lips or you may notice a loss of volume, you should get a lip filler. If you are not satisfied with your lip shape or have dynamic wrinkles due to muscle movement, a lip flip is the best option for you.
What is the aftercare for lip filler?
- You should avoid getting facial massage or microdermabrasion after Lip Filler. Additionally, excessive exposure to sunlight may cause redness, swelling, or bruising around the treated area.
Further Reading about Lip Flip and Lip Filler
- Read Dr Hunt’s Dermal Fillers page
- Read Dr Hunt’s Lip Lift Surgery page – the more permanent surgical alternative to Lip Fillers
- See Dr Hunt’s Real Patient Dermal Fillers Before and After Photos
- Read Smokers Lines – How to get rid of Upper Lip Lines & Wrinkles
- Read Lip Filler Aftercare – Best tips after lip injections
Medical References – Lip Flip & Lip Filler
About Dr Jeremy Hunt – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Jeremy Hunt is one of Australia’s leading specialist plastic surgeons for breast, body, face and nose surgery. He is a member of FRACS & ASPS and has over 20 years of experience providing expert cosmetic and plastic surgery in Sydney.
Careful, considerate and honest, Dr Jeremy Hunt works with you to find a solution that is best for your body and your lifestyle. Every patient is unique and, through his expert guidance, can achieve the best possible results.
Dr Hunt’s personal, one-on-one service and attention to detail has given thousands of women and men from the Sydney & Wollongong NSW area and across Australia the confidence and body shape they desire.
Dr Hunt’s qualifications and education
Dr Jeremy A Hunt MBBS FRACS graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree from Sydney University in 1990 and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and member of ASPS – the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons. He completed a Fellowship at the prestigious University of Texas in the United States, where he learnt from some of the world’s very best plastic surgeons.
Next Step – Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call on 1300 157 200 or contact us
If breast reduction is something you’re considering, Dr Hunt can thoroughly explain all the options to you in a one-on-one consultation.
- Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health professional.