A mini breast implant surgery or mini breast augmentation mammoplasty can suit women with a small, athletic physique. The breasts can be subtly enlarged with smaller implants and maybe some extra fat grafting.
When you think about a breast augmentation mammoplasty, you might think of large implants. But that’s not what many women want. Women with a smaller frame may seek smaller implants that are more suited to their proportions.
Sydney Plastic Surgeon Dr Jeremy Hunt is one of the specialist plastic surgeons in Sydney. He routinely performs a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty.
What Is a Mini Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty?
A mini breast implant surgery is a type of breast augmentation mammoplasty surgery that has been trending more and more in the last decade. It involves any breast augmentation mammoplasty procedure that minimally enlarges the breasts with implants. That goal of surgery is to create a breast shape and size that fits the patient’s desires for a subtle breast enlargement.
It is thus a preferred surgery for women with a small and lean body, who want to make their breasts a little larger. The difference between a regular and mini reast augmentation mammoplasty is the size and shape of the implant. For regular breast augmentation mammoplasties, Dr Hunt usually uses breast implants with a larger size (275 cc to 400 cc or more).
In a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty, Dr Hunt augments the breasts with smaller size implants, usually between 150 cc to 275 cc. These are sometimes called “micro breast implants” or “slimplants”.
The final breast size in cups is determined by the size of the implant and amount of natural tissue you have but will generally lead to full A cup or B cup projecting breasts.
Dr Hunt can also complement small breast implants with autologous fat injections or fat transfer to breasts. This is called hybrid breast augmentation mammoplasty. He uses your own excess fat from your lower body to strategically enlarge specific areas of the breast.
Who Is A Mini Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty For?
Mini breast augmentation mammoplasty is a common choice for women with a petite lean body. It might suit people who are wanting a breast size that is larger but still suits their natural body proportions.
Mini breast augmentation mammoplasty is, thus, not for everyone. You might choose to consider getting a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty if:
- You have a small and lean build
- You have smaller breasts
- You have a petite physique
- You are short-waisted – a shorter distance from hip to breasts
- You want small, not large, implants
In petite women, a 150 cc breast implant, for example, is the desired size.
Dr Hunt chooses the breast implant size according to proportion standards. Learn more about Choosing the Right Breast Implant.
What Are The Benefits of a Mini Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty?
Choosing smaller breast implants over larger ones may not be for everyone. But for those who are good candidates, the benefits of a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty include:
- Designed to prioritise body proportions over large breast size
- Subtle augmentation for those seeking a non-dramatic change
- Less downtime compared to the usual breast surgery
- Less downward tension on the breasts from heavy implants
- Can be complemented with fat grafting
Benefits will vary according to what each patient wants to achieve with their surgery. This means you should ensure to discuss your goals with your surgeon to make sure you understand both the benefits and risks in your case.
How is a Mini Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty Performed?
Mini breast augmentation mammoplasty is performed the same way as traditional breast augmentation mammoplasty. The procedure is usually an outpatient one, which means that you usually won’t have to sleep overnight at the hospital.
The surgical steps include:
- Mini breast augmentation mammoplasty is usually done under general anaesthesia. This means that you will be asleep during the operation. It can take about 1 to 2 hours to perform (depending if a fat transfer is wanted)
- Dr Hunt starts with a small 2.5 to 4 cm incision along the inframammary fold (the crease just under your breast). He then creates a pocket, usually between the chest muscles and breast tissue, to make space for the new implants
- Once the surgical pocket is ready, Dr Hunt inserts a small implant, usually 150 cc to 275 cc. Silicone implants come pre-filled, however, saline implants are filled after they’re inserted into the breasts
- Once the implant is in place, Dr Hunt closes the deep breast tissue layers and muscles and tightens the pocket to keep the implants in place
- After that, Dr Hunt closes the skin wounds with very thin sutures
If you’ve opted for a hybrid breast augmentation mammoplasty, Dr Hunt will then perform fat grafting after the implants are inserted. Fat is first harvested from your buttocks or abdomen and purified using a special machine. The pure fat is then injected into the breasts.
Finally, the incisions under your breasts are covered with gauze. You will then be woken and sent to your room to recover.
Recovery After Mini Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty
Recovery after mini breast augmentation mammoplasty is usually the same as with the usual breast augmentation mammoplasty. Nevertheless, since less tissue trauma is involved, you should experience less intense symptoms and a slightly shorter recovery time.
Slight bruising, pain, and swelling are normal, even with small breast implants. Those usually peak during the first week and will resolve almost completely by 4-6 weeks. You can usually go back to work 5-7 days after your mini breast surgery. Walking is perfectly fine during the first week. Jogging is okay as of the second week. However, you should avoid intense sports and weight lifting till after 4 weeks have passed.
You should sleep on your back and wear a compression bra for 4-6 weeks after your mini breast augmentation mammoplasty. Warm compresses and ice packs can help get rid of swelling and bruising faster after breast surgery.
Risks and Complications of Mini Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty
Like any other surgery, mini breast augmentation mammoplasty involves some risks. Complications very rarely occur with cosmetic breast surgery, and they can include:
- Loss of sensation around the nipples
- Wound infection
- Uneven breasts
- Unsatisfactory results
Moreover, long term complications of breast implants might include:
- Skin wrinkling on the edge of the implant
- Capsular contracture
- Implant rupture
- Implant malrotation
- Implant drop
- Breast Implant-Associated Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL)
To reduce the risk of complications with a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty, you should choose a surgeon with extensive experience in breast augmentation mammoplasty surgery. Dr Hunt has performed hundreds of mini breast augmentation mammoplasties in his career, with patients all around Sydney and New South Wales. Find out how you can reduce your risks of plastic surgery complications
Mini Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty Costs and Prices
You might think that Mini breast augmentation mammoplasty Sydney cost less than big ones. However, this is not true. This size of breast implants does not affect their price. That being said, determining the price of mini breast augmentation mammoplasty is a little complicated. Many factors are taken into consideration: the surgical hospital, anaesthetist fees, surgeon fees, implant type and brand, and any additional procedures wanted (e.g. fat grafting or breast mastopexy).
Dr Hunt’s team will provide an estimate of mini breast implant costs after your first consultation. In general, insurance and Medicare do not cover the costs of breast implant (augmentation mammoplasty) surgery unless there is a congenital defect such as a tuberous breast or asymmetry and you meet the strict Medicare criteria.
Your Consultation with Dr Jeremy Hunt
Dr Hunt will start by asking you a few questions about your general health and your desired cosmetic outcomes. Expect to answer questions like:
- Do you have any previous medical conditions?
- Do you smoke?
- Have you had any children?
- Do you plan to have any children soon?
- How large would you want your breasts to be?
- What is the desired breast shape?
- What is the desired breast projection?
Based on this, Dr Hunt will give you several options and recommendations to choose from. He will recommend different implant types, brands, shapes, and textures, and will explain the pros and cons for each.
Together, you will agree on a surgical plan that fits your needs, and set up a date for surgery.
FAQs about smaller breast augmentation mammoplasty
What is the size of implants used in a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty?
- In a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty, the volume of the implants used is usually between 150 cc and 275 cc. In the traditional breast augmentation mammoplasty, 275 cc to 400 cc breast implants are usually used.
Are small breast implants enough to alter breasts?
- Small breast implants (150 cc to 275 cc) can be enough for a woman with a slender, lean, and petite physique.
What cup size do you get with a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty?
- A mini breast augmentation mammoplasty usually leads to full A cup or B cup breast size. The final size of your breasts in cups after mini breast augmentation mammoplasty depends on the size of the implants and the amount of breast fat you already have.
What is better round or teardrop implants?
- Round implants give you more fullness in the upper pole. However, teardrop implants are shaped to mimic a natural breast appearance. Neither is better than the other, and it all depends on your own cosmetic goals.
How long does a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty last?
- A mini breast augmentation mammoplasty lasts around 10-15 years. After that, most implants will need to be exchanged due to long-term risks of implant failure or the effects or time or pregnancy. Breast Implant Revision surgery may be necessary at some stage.
What size is a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty?
- Implants for mini breast augmentation mammoplasty are sized between 150 cc and 275 cc. The corresponding cup size is between A and B cups.
Is a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty painful?
- Mini breast augmentation mammoplasty is not usually painful. However, any breast surgery will involve some pain and analgesia. Routine painkillers are usually enough to deal with the pain after a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty.
Is recovery hard after a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty?
- Recovery is usually not very challenging after a mini breast augmentation mammoplasty. Swelling, pain, and slight bruising are usually well tolerated by patients, and generally improve within a few days after surgery.
Should you get small implants?
- If you have small body proportions, then getting small breast implants might be an option for you. It depends on your health, goals, and the recommendations of your surgeon.
Further Reading about Breast Implant Surgery
- Read Dr Hunt’s Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty page
- See Dr Hunt’s Real Patient Breast Augmentation MammoplastyBefore and After Photos
- Read the Blog about Questions to ask your Surgeon
- Be Breast Aware – Read the blog on Breast Self Examination
- Read Motiva Implant Warranty Infomation
- Read Dr Hunt’s Guide in Choosing Your Implant Size
Medical References about Mini Breast Implants
- Breast implants. A review
- Complications in breast augmentation mammoplasty with textured versus smooth breast implants: a systematic review protocol
- Matching the Implant to the Breast: A Systematic Review of Implant Size Selection Systems for Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty
- Preoperative sizing in breast augmentation mammoplasty
About Dr Jeremy Hunt – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Jeremy Hunt is a specialist plastic surgeon performing breast, body, face and nose surgery in Australia. He is a member of FRACS & ASPS and has over 20 years of experience providing plastic surgery in Sydney.
Careful, considerate and honest, Dr Jeremy Hunt works with you to find a solution that is suitable for your body and your lifestyle. Every patient is unique and requires a personalised approach to reach their goals.
Dr Hunt has provided his one-on-one service and attention to detail to thousands of women and men from the Sydney & Wollongong NSW area and across Australia.
Dr Hunt’s qualifications and education
Dr Jeremy A. Hunt MBBS FRACS graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree from Sydney University in 1990 and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgery. He completed a Fellowship at the University of Texas in the United States, where he learnt from well-established and experienced plastic surgeons.
Next Step – Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call on 1300 157 200 or contact us
If breast reduction is something you’re considering, Dr Hunt can thoroughly explain all the options to you in a one-on-one consultation.
- Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health professional.