Top surgery is a gender affirmation procedure that alters the shape, size and overall appearance of the chest. Patients for top surgery are trans men and women, as well as non-binary patients. The surgery is typically performed by a plastic surgeon who is trained to perform gender affirmation procedures. If you are interested in undergoing gender affirmation surgery, then you might want to know more about top surgery prices in Sydney.
The Top Surgery procedure can be performed on transgender women to make their breasts look more feminine or transgender men to help them achieve a more masculine chest.
As a result, there is both FTM Top Surgery (female-to-male) and MTF Top Surgery (male-to-female).
- FTM Top Surgery involves the removal of breast tissue and chest contouring to achieve a flat, masculine-looking chest. The procedure is ideal for transgender men who want to overcome their gender dysphoria and wish to achieve a more masculine look.
- MTF Top Surgery typically uses saline or silicone implants to increase the breast size and alter their shape in order to achieve more feminine-looking breasts. The procedure is ideal for all transgender women who want to overcome their gender dysphoria.
Dr Jeremy Hunt is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon with cosmetic clinics in Sydney and Wollongong NSW. He has performed hundreds of breast procedures in over 20 years of practice. Dr Maryam Seyedabadi has recently joined the practice in Edgecliff and is available now for consultations on a range of plastic surgery for transgender men and women.
How do I get top surgery in Australia?
The criteria for getting top surgery in Australia is:
- Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria
- Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment
- Reached the Age of 18 (if younger, follow the SOC for children and adolescents)
- If significant medical or mental health concerns are present, they must be reasonably well controlled
Top Surgery Prices Sydney
What’s included in Top Surgery:
The cost of top surgery depends on a range of factors including the experience and expertise of the surgeon, your hospital and how much coverage you will be able to get from Medicate or insurance. In general, the cost of top surgery will include:
1. Surgeon’s Fee
The first and most important thing that will make a major part of the overall quote will be the surgeon’s fee. Obviously, this will be the biggest chunk of the entire cost and is highly dependent on the experience and expertise of the surgeon. The more experienced a surgeon is, the higher are the chances that he or she will charge more than a surgeon with little to no experience in the field.
2. Hospital or Surgical Facility Costs
The next thing that is of critical importance is the surgical facility or the hospital where the surgeon is going to perform the surgery. Make sure you visit the facility beforehand and ensure they are able to cater to all kinds of emergency situations.
3. Anaesthetist Fees
Your quote also involves the fees of an anaesthetic surgeon. Again, this varies from hospital to hospital and surgeon to surgeon. Make sure to know the cost beforehand.
During and post the surgery, you will be administered medications, primarily comprising of antibiotics and pain killers. The overall cost given to you will include the cost of the medications used during the process and during the post-surgical phase.
5. Post-Surgery Garments
You will be asked to wear post-surgery garments to minimise the swelling and help with recovery. These garments boost up the healing process and help you feel more comfortable during the recovery period.
6. Medical Tests and X-rays
You will be asked to undergo a series of medical tests and x-rays for the top surgery. A series of tests and x rays will be performed to ensure you are a suitable candidate for the procedure and there are no contraindications.
How much is Top surgery in Australia? – Gender Affirmation Top Surgery Prices in Sydney
Prices vary and the cost is based on the experience and expertise of the surgeon, the factors listed above and how much (if any) assistance you will be able to get from Medicare & Health Insurance.
The price ranges are:
- Male to Female MTF Top Surgery prices can range from around $7,000 to $17,000 in Sydney NSW.
- Female to Male FTM Top Surgery prices can range from around $10,000 to $20,000 in Sydney NSW
Please Contact us or Phone the clinic for a more accurate estimate.
How to Find the Right Surgeon in Sydney – Choosing a Surgeon
Choosing the right surgeon for your gender affirmation surgery can be a difficult task. Here are a few tips that will help you:
1. Ask for Referrals
One of the best and easiest things you can do in order to find a surgeon is to ask for referrals from your local GP. Generally, they will be able to make great recommendations.
2. Check your Surgeon’s Credentials
Another thing you can do is do your own research with the help of the internet. Make sure to pay close attention to their credentials and ensure they are credible and experienced to perform the top surgery.
3. Choose a Surgeon with Experience
Make sure to select a highly experienced surgeon who has performed top surgeries on plenty of patients. The more experienced the surgeon is, the higher are the chances of getting the results you desire.
4. Your Hospital Choice Matters
The medical facility where the surgery is performed is important too. Have a close look at the surgical facility/ hospital, your surgeon is planning to perform the surgery at.
5. Pay Attention to Communication Skills
You need to feel comfortable with the surgeon. Make sure the surgeon is able to answer all your questions and queries regarding the surgery. By the end of your consultation, you will have a fairly clear idea of whether the surgeon is right for you or not.
FAQS about Top Surgery – MTF Surgery – FTM Surgery
Here is a list of frequently asked questions we get regarding top surgery in Australia:
Is top surgery covered by Medicare Australia? – Does Medicare cover top surgery prices?
- Medicare may pay for some of the individual treatments associated with gender confirmation surgery including surgeries, medications, tests and consultations.
- Medicare may only partially cover the cost of Top surgery. New Medicare codes for Gender Affirmation surgery may be available in late 2022.
Can you get top surgery in Australia?
- Yes, you can get top surgery in Australia. Make sure to choose your surgeon wisely and find a Gender Surgery expert, ask for referrals, research the facility/ hospital, and then make a final decision.
What do I need to have top surgery?
- The standard criteria for getting top surgery is that you have persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria.
- Most surgeons require you to be 18 years old or above to get the surgery.
- You should be able to make a fully informed decision and consent to the treatment.
What is gender dysphoria?
- As per NHS, Gender dysphoria is a term that describes a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity.
How long does it take to get diagnosed with gender dysphoria?
- The DSM-5 defines gender dysphoria in children as a marked incongruence between one’s experienced/ expressed gender and assigned gender, lasting at least 6 months. In adults, gender dysphoria is diagnosed if you have had two symptoms or more for at least 6 months.
Can you get top surgery if you are overweight?
- It is recommended you have a BMI of less than 30 for top surgery. A BMI of 30 to 35 may be possible but if you are overweight or obese, the surgeon might advise you to lose weight prior to getting the top surgery.
Do you need to be on T to get top surgery?
- No, WPATH Standards of Care do not require hormone therapy to be eligible for Top Surgery.
How long do you need to be on T to get top surgery?
- You are not required to take testosterone before getting top surgery. However, if you are taking testosterone or are on any other medications, the surgeon will ask you to stop the use for at least 2 to 4 weeks before the top surgery. In case of necessary medications, you may be offered an alternative.
Can breasts grow back after top surgery?
- No, it is one of the most common myths associated with top surgery. Even if you gain weight or stop taking testosterone, your breasts will not grow back once they have been surgically removed.
Is Top surgery reversible?
- No, the results of top surgery are regarded as permanent and not reversible. Hence, it is important to ensure that you are ready for the surgery and won’t regret it later on.
Is Top surgery painful?
- You won’t feel anything during the procedure as it is performed under general anaesthesia. During the first week post-surgery, it is normal to feel some slight pain and discomfort that are easily alleviated with medication.
Can you get top surgery without scars?
- No, you cannot get the top surgery without scars. The surgeon will try his/ her best to conceal them and make them less visible. Moreover, you can also opt for scar minimisation procedures once you are fully healed.
What should I wear after top surgery?
- Make sure to wear a loose, comfortable and breathable button-up shirt or hoodie because you will have a limited range of motion post-surgery.
Do you have to stay in the hospital after top surgery?
- In most cases, you will be asked to stay a day in the hospital after top surgery. In some cases, you might be allowed to go home on the same day, once your condition has stabilised.
Do you need physical therapy after top surgery?
- It depends. In most cases, surgeons recommend getting some physical therapy to speed up the recovery after the surgery.
When can you sleep on your side after top surgery?
- It is best to avoid sleeping on your side for at least the first six weeks after getting top surgery.
Further Reading about Gender Affirmation Surgery & Top Surgery Prices:
- Read Dr Hunt’s Gender Affirmation Surgery page
- Read Dr Hunt’s MTF Top Surgery page
- Read Dr Hunt’s FTM Top Surgery page
- Read Dr Hunt’s pricing page
Medical References about Top Surgery
- Top surgery for transgender men and nonbinary people
- What Is a Top Surgery for Transgender People?
- Transgender surgery can improve life for most, study confirms
About Dr Jeremy Hunt – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Jeremy Hunt is a specialist plastic surgeon performing breast, body, face and nose surgery in Australia. He is a member of FRACS & ASPS and has over 20 years of experience providing plastic surgery in Sydney.
Careful, considerate and honest, Dr Jeremy Hunt works with you to find a solution that is suitable for your body and your lifestyle. Every patient is unique and requires a personalised approach to reach their goals.
Dr Hunt has provided his one-on-one service and attention to detail to thousands of women and men from the Sydney & Wollongong NSW area and across Australia.
Dr Hunt’s qualifications and education
Dr Jeremy A. Hunt MBBS FRACS graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree from Sydney University in 1990 and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and member of ASPS – the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons. He completed a Fellowship at the University of Texas in the United States, where he learnt from well-established and experienced plastic surgeons.
Next Step – Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call on 1300 157 200 or contact us
If breast reduction (mammoplasty) is something you’re considering, Dr Hunt can thoroughly explain all the options to you in a one-on-one consultation.
- Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health professional.