Breast augmentation mammoplasty (surgery for breast implants) has become very popular in recent years. While some only wish for small implants to create a subtle augment, others may decide they want very larger breast implants. In this blog we will discuss the possibilities and the impact that very large breast implants can have.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Jeremy Hunt is a skilled plastic surgeon performing breast procedures in Sydney NSW.
What Are Very Large Breast Implants?
When it comes to breast augmentation mammoplasty mammoplasty, size plays a pivotal role in achieving the desired aesthetic. To comprehend the realm of very large breast implants, it is crucial to differentiate between the various sizes available, namely moderate, large, and very large.
- Moderate: Moderate-sized breast implants offer a subtle enhancement, adding fullness and volume while maintaining a natural appearance. This size option appeals to those seeking a modest change or a more discreet augmentation
- Large: Moving beyond the moderate range, large breast implants provide a more pronounced and noticeable increase in breast size. This choice often emphasises curves and grants a more voluptuous silhouette, catering to those desiring a significant enhancement while still maintaining a sense of proportion
- Very Large: The realm of very large breast implants represents a bold and daring choice. These implants offer a substantial increase in breast size.
Very large breast implants are typically characterised by their significant volume, surpassing the sizes associated with more conservative augmentations. While specific measurements may vary depending on individual preferences and anatomical considerations, very large breast implants are generally recognised for their substantial projection and size, delivering a dramatic transformation to the bust line. In general, very large breast implants are considered implants that exceed 800cc in volume.
Pros of Very Large Breast Implants
Very large breast implants offer a range of enticing benefits that might be appealing to people who want very dramatic results. Let’s explore some of the advantages that patients may consider when contemplating this bold choice:
- Dramatic enhancement, which may appeal to those seeking a noticeable change
- More pronounced curves: the increase in breast size can accentuate the waist for those seeking a more pronounced figure
It is essential to recognise that the advantages of very large breast implants are subjective and may vary depending on individual preferences, body type, and lifestyle.
Cons of Very Large Breast Implants
While very large breast implants can offer advantages, it is important to consider the potential drawbacks and challenges that come with this choice. Let’s explore some of the cons associated with very large breast implants:
- Physical discomfort and health risks: The significant increase in breast size and weight that comes with very large breast implants can lead to physical discomfort and potential health risks. The added strain on the chest muscles and tissues may cause discomfort, pain, and even postural issues. Additionally, the weight of the implants can contribute to back and shoulder pain. It is crucial to have realistic expectations and be aware of the potential physical implications before opting for very large breast implants
- Impact on daily activities and exercise: Very large breast implants can affect an individual’s ability to engage in certain activities and exercises comfortably. The added weight and size of the implants may limit mobility and impact physical performance. Activities such as running, high-impact exercises, and certain sports may become more challenging or uncomfortable.
- Potential for disproportionate body appearance: While very large breast implants can create a striking and eye-catching bust line, there is a risk of the overall body appearing disproportionate. It is crucial to consider the balance and harmony of the entire body when opting for very large breast implants. If the implants are disproportionately large in relation to the individual’s frame and proportions, it can create an unnatural or top-heavy appearance
It is important to have open and honest discussions with your plastic surgeon to fully understand the potential risks and challenges associated with very large breast implants. Your plastic surgeon can provide personalised advice based on your unique circumstances and help you make an informed decision that aligns with your aesthetic goals and well-being.
Considering Personal Preferences and Goals
When contemplating very large breast implants, it is essential to take into account your personal preferences and goals. This involves considering factors such as your individual body type and proportions, as well as your lifestyle and long-term expectations. Let’s explore these aspects further:
- Body type and proportions: Each person has a unique body type and proportion, and it is important to consider how very large breast implants will complement your natural features. Different body types, such as pear-shaped, hourglass, or athletic, may have specific considerations in terms of achieving a harmonious and balanced appearance
- Lifestyle and long-term expectations: Your lifestyle and long-term expectations play a significant role in determining whether very large breast implants are a suitable choice for you. Consider your daily activities, hobbies, and profession. Are there any physical limitations or constraints that may arise from having larger breasts? More than this, think about your long-term goals and how they align with your desire for very large breast implants
The Surgeon’s Perspective on Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty
From the plastic surgeon’s point of view, breast augmentation mammoplasty is not merely a procedure but an art form that requires meticulous attention to detail and a deep understanding of the individual’s unique anatomy.
The plastic surgeon carefully assesses the patient’s desires, expectations, and physical attributes. Through in-depth consultations and thorough examinations, your plastic surgeon collaborates with the patient to design a customised enhancement plan that caters to their aesthetic goals while considering their individual body type, symmetry, and proportions.
The surgeon should select the appropriate implant size, shape, and profile to suit the patient’s the desired outcome. He takes into account factors such as the patient’s chest width, breast tissue quality, and existing breast anatomy.
FAQs about Very Large Breast Implants
What size qualifies as “very large” breast implants?
- The definition of “very large” breast implants can vary depending on individual perspectives and preferences. However, in general, very large breast implants refer to sizes that exceed traditional moderate or large implant sizes. In general XL breast implants exceed 800 cc.
How long does the recovery process take after getting very large breast implants?
- The recovery process after getting very large breast implants can vary from person to person. Compared to the recovery process after Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty with moderate breast implants, the healing after an XL Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty can take longer. Due to the increased risk of developing complications, patients are advised to pay more attention to the dos and don’ts of the recovery period.
Can very large breast implants affect breastfeeding?
- Breast implants, including very large ones, can potentially affect breastfeeding. The extent of impact depends on various factors, such as the surgical technique used, the location of the incisions, and individual factors. It is important to discuss your desire to breastfeed in the future with your surgeon during the consultation process.
Are there any age restrictions for getting very large breast implants?
- Age restrictions for getting very large breast implants may vary depending on the legal regulations and guidelines of the country or state where the procedure is performed. However, the decision to undergo any Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty procedure, including very large implants, should be based on individual readiness, emotional maturity, and a thorough consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon.
What are the potential complications and risks associated with very large breast implants?
- Like any surgical procedure, Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty with very large implants carries potential risks and complications. These can include infection, bleeding, implant rupture or leakage, capsular contracture (scar tissue formation around the implant), changes in breast or nipple sensation, asymmetry, and the need for revision surgeries. It is important to thoroughly discuss these risks with your surgeon and weigh them against the potential benefits before making a decision.
How do I choose the right plastic surgeon for the procedure?
- Selecting a qualified plastic surgeon for your breast augmentation mammoplasty, especially when considering very large implants, is crucial. Look for a surgeon who is experienced in breast augmentation mammoplasty procedures, and has a proven track record of successful results. You can schedule consultations with multiple surgeons to discuss your goals, ask questions, and evaluate their communication style, experience, and ability to understand your desires.
Will insurance cover the cost of very large breast implants?
- In most cases, Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty, including very large implants, is considered a cosmetic procedure and is not covered by insurance. However, there may be exceptions if the procedure is deemed medically necessary due to breast reconstruction following mastectomy or certain congenital abnormalities. It is recommended to consult with your insurance provider to understand their coverage policies and determine if any portion of the procedure may be covered.
Further Reading about Breast Implant Surgery (Augmentation Mammoplasty) with Dr Hunt
- Read Dr Hunt’s Breast Implants Page
- Read Dr Hunt’s Blog about Breast Implants Before and After Gallery
- Read Dr Hunt’s Blog about Recovery after Breast Implant Removal
- Read Dr Hunt’s Breast Implant Revision Page
- Read Dr Hunt’s Breast Implant Replacement Page
Medical References about Breast Implants
- What you need to know about breast augmentation mammoplasty – Medical News Today
- Breast Implants – Cleveland Clinic
- Breast Implants – WebMD
About Dr Jeremy Hunt – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Jeremy Hunt is a specialist plastic surgeon and a member of FRACS & ASPS. He has over 20 years of experience providing plastic surgery in Sydney.
Careful, considerate and honest, Dr Jeremy Hunt works with you to find a solution that is suitable for your body and your lifestyle. Every patient is unique and requires a personalised approach to reach their goals.
Dr Hunt has provided his one-on-one service and attention to detail to thousands of women and men from the Sydney & Wollongong NSW area and across Australia.
Dr Hunt’s qualifications and education
Dr Jeremy A. Hunt MBBS FRACS graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree from Sydney University in 1990 and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and member of ASPS – the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons. He completed a Fellowship at the University of Texas in the United States, where he learnt from well-established and experienced plastic surgeons.
Next Step – Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call on 1300 157 200 or contact us
If breast reduction mammoplasty is something you’re considering, Dr Hunt can thoroughly explain all the options to you in a one-on-one consultation.
- Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health professional.