What is MTF Top surgery?
MTF stands for Male to Female. As the name implies this surgery is for transgender individuals who would like to have a more feminine appearance. To give your chest a feminine shape, implants are inserted under the pectoral muscles of the chest. The final result is feminine-looking breasts. The size and shape of the implant depends on your body shape and individual characteristics. Our surgeons will suggest the ideal type of breast implant for your body during the initial consultation.
Why Patients Might Consider MTF chest surgery
Patients might consider MTF top surgery for many reasons, including:
- Femininity: This surgery aims to create a feminine look. Having a feminine body may be empowering to individuals identifying as women.
- Size and shape: – MTF chest surgery can help have your desired breast size, shape and cleavage.
- Gender confirmation: Having the MTF chest surgery may help you feel more comfortable in your own body.
- The end result: The aim for the end result of MTF chest surgery is symmetrical, natural-looking breasts.
Are you a Suitable Candidate for top surgery?
Just like it is with any other plastic surgery intervention, not all patients wanting to get the procedure are suitable candidates. MTF is a major surgical procedure and you need to meet some criteria to be eligible for the procedure. Most of these criteria are there to make sure that it’s the correct procedure for you and you can undergo surgery safely. To get transgender top surgery you should meet the following conditions:
1. 18 years old or older: so that you can consent to the procedure and are no longer going through a major growth spurt
2. Non-smoker: Direct and passive inhalation of nicotine has detrimental effects on the blood vessels making them narrower. This is a risk factor to any surgery because a large part of healing depends on whether the surgical wound site is getting proper blood supply or not
3. Health: You must be in good mental and physical condition to be eligible for the surgery. As the decision to get the MTF chest surgery has a huge psychological component, good mental health is essential.
4. Weight, nutrition: You must have a good BMI. Being too underweight or overweight is a risk factor since you will be getting a general anaesthesia. Your haemoglobin, iron, and other blood values should also be within limit.
5. Have tried hormonal therapy: For some patients, only hormonal therapy is enough to promote breast tissue growth. Doctors usually suggest trying estrogen therapy before surgical intervention. Even for those who have decided to get the surgery, a 12 month hormone therapy prior to surgery is usually advised.
6. Have a clear and realistic expectation from the surgery. This surgery is not going to change your appearance all at once. It will add and enhance a very important physical aspect, but the rest of your body will still be the same.
About MTF chest surgery procedure
The MTF top surgery or transgender top surgery is a major surgical procedure performed under general anaesthesia. This means you will be unconscious during surgery. An experienced anaesthetist will make sure your breathing, pulse and other parameters are within normal range during the surgery. After the anaesthesia is administered, your surgeon will perform the procedure.
The masculine chest is often wider, so a certain type of implants will be used. The incisions are placed in the under the breasts, where the breasts meet the chest wall. A pocket is created under the pectoral muscle and in this pocket Dr Hunt inserts the implant. Once the implants are positioned, the incisions are sutured and bandages are placed over the surgical wounds.
The whole procedure takes about two to three hours in most cases. Usually, you don’t have to stay in the hospital for more than a few hours after the intervention.
The type, size and shape of the implants will be discussed beforehand in your consultation with Dr Hunt. You can choose whether you would like silicon or saline implants (they feel different and vary in cost), the shape you want (natural looking, or rounder ones with a high projection) and the size that is suitable for your chest.
Types of Breast Implants
There are many brands, sizes, shapes, profiles and types of Breast Implants to choose from:
You can choose between saline implants and silicone implants. They have different characteristics:
- Saline implants contain saline or saltwater in them
- Small incision needed, so small scarring
- Their size is adjustable.
- They give a more natural look and feel
- The filler stays in place even if ruptured, so less chances of complications
- Good shape and natural movements of the tissue
- Less chances of capsular contraction
- Less skin wrinkling
Recovery after transgender top surgery
Full recovery after transgender top surgery takes a few weeks. You can come in and check out of the hospital on the same day; just bring a friend to drive you home as you won’t be able to drive for at least a week. The first 2 -3 days you should get plenty of rest and allow your body to recover after the surgery. During this time you might experience a certain level of soreness, as well as swelling and a tight sensation in the chest area.
What to expect
The final results of transgender or MTF top surgery are generally visible about two to three months after the surgery, when the swelling and bruising disappear. You can expect some pain and discomfort immediately after surgery, but the analgesic medication prescribed by the doctor should help to alleviate most of the discomfort.
Patient Results for MTF Top Surgery Transgender Surgery
The outcomes shown are only relevant for this patient and do not necessarily reflect the results other patients may experience, as results may vary due to many factors including the individual’s genetics, diet and exercise.
To support the breasts’ weight and let the tissue heal, you will need to wear a surgical bra after the surgery for 4-6 weeks. Your dressing will be changed after a week or so, then you can have a shower. The first few weeks you should be careful when moving your arms, especially lifting your arms and lifting objects. For the first two weeks, refrain from lifting anything heavy or making ample arms movements. While it may seem you are completely healed after 2 weeks, you need to wait 8 weeks before going back to your daily life (heavy lifting, swimming and other movements).
MTF Top Surgery Cost Sydney – Price & Fees – How much is MTF top surgery in Sydney?
You might be wondering just how much it is going to cost to get the gender affirmation surgery in Sydney.
It depends on the surgeon, the implants used, technique and your insurance. Please call and enquire with Dr Hunt’s team.
Considering MTF Chest Surgery?
How old do you have to be to get MTF chest surgery?
Usually a person needs to be of legal age or over 18 to get this procedure.
Are breast implants used for MTF top surgery?
In most cases, you will receive breast implants to achieve more feminine breasts. While there are other options for breast augmentation mammoplasty, such as fat transfer to the breasts, breast implants are the most common option.
Do I need to stop smoking?
Yes. You need to be a non-smoker or stop smoking at least two to three weeks before the intervention to be eligible for the surgery.
Will I get scars?
A breast enlargement procedure entails scars, but they are usually under the breasts, so barely visible. You can also talk to Dr Hunt about scar treatments after the surgery.
What are Risks and Complications of MTF Chest Surgery?
All surgery has risks. The risks concerning transgender top surgery will be explained by your surgeon, Dr Hunt, during your consultation.
Some risks associated with MTF chest surgery are:
- Wrinkling of skin
- Capsular contraction
- Implant rupture
- Implant displacement
Ask us a question
Send us a quick enquiry by completing the form below and one of our staff will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.
PLASTIC SURGEON SYDNEY
About Dr Jeremy Hunt
Dr Hunt has worked with thousands of patients across his 20-year career. This is reflected in his role as Spokesperson for the ASPS – Australian Society of Plastic Surgery. Dr Hunt is also a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and Supervisor of Plastic Surgery Training at Sydney Children’s Hospital.
Dr Hunt has a strong interest in helping his patients achieve their desired results by employing the most appropriate practices for each individual patient.
PLASTIC SURGEON SYDNEY
Dr Maryam Seyedabadi
Dr Maryam Seyedabadi has recently joined Dr Hunt’s practice in Edgecliff and is now available for consultations on a range of plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery for breast, body and face.
She is just one of the very few dually qualified Specialist Plastic Surgeons, completing both medical and dental degrees. This gives her a unique skillset and ability for face surgery, orthognathic & jaw surgery.
As a Sydney Female Plastic Surgeon, Dr Maryam offers surgery by women for women. She is supported in clinic & theatre by a completely female surgical team for those who prefer being operated on in a women-only or more female-friendly private hospital environment.