Fat dissolving injections have been launched in Australia, and Dr Jeremy Hunt is proud to be one of the first doctors chosen in Australia to be trained in, and now offer them.
This is a revolutionary product, offering a permanent solution for removal of double chin fat as an in office day only procedure.
What you need to know about Fat dissolving injections
- Do Fat dissolving injections permanently remove double chin fat? Yes – Fat dissolving injections permanently destroys double chin fat. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they will never return.
- How is it done? After a consultation and assessment the treatment is performed in office with a series of small injections into the area of fat to be treated. Ice packs are all this is needed for pain killers and the treatment takes about 20 minutes
- How many fat dissolving injections do I need to treat my double chin? – The amount needed will of course depend on the amount of fat that needs to be dissolved average patient needs at least 20 small injections ( 2 vails) 1 cm apart
- How many treatments will I need? – We recommend at least 2 treatments of at least 2 vials to see results with most patients requiring 3 treatments at 6 week intervals
- Will I see results straight away? – No, it takes up to 6 weeks for you to notice the effects.
- Are fat dissolving injections safe? – Yes. It is a non surgical treatment with an acceptable side effect profile.
- What is the cost? The likely cost of a treatment is from $1200 – $1800 each session, and with 3 treatments recommended the total cost would be $3600 – $4800
- What are the main side effects of fat dissolving injections? – We expect swelling around the treatment area on the day that will peek at 48hours and settle over 1 week
- Are fat dissolving injections painful? – We ice the neck before injections to numb the skin. After injection the area can feel warm, like the feeling of sunburn. This is a temporary side effect which settles over the next hour.
- Can I go to work after treatment? – we recommend icing the skin and resting at home after treatment rather than going back to work.
How fat dissolving injections work
Fat dissolving injections are a product which contains deoxycholic acid, found naturally in the body, and helps absorb fat in food. The product is injected into the fat in the double chin area and permanently destroys the fat cells by a process known as adipocytolysis. Once the fat cells have been destroyed they cannot store fat again. Imagine your fat cells are balloons and fat dissolving injections are the dart. Once they have been popped they cannot be blown up again.
Which patients are best suited for fat dissolving injections treatment?
The treatment guide below shows a grading scale for double chin fat, also known as ‘sub-mental fat’. It ranges from 0 (no localised sub-mental fat) to 4 (extreme submental convexity). The ideal patient for fat dissolving injections would be someone who is a ‘2’ or ‘3’ on sub-mental scale, so someone with moderate to severe sub-mental fullness.
To treat submental fat with fat dissolving injections we place a non permanent template on the skin (see photo above) and apply water. This leaves small dots on the skin as a guide for where to inject. We then clean the skin with chlorhexidine before placing small injections into the submental fat. The treatment requires approximately 20 small injections into the dots provided above.
What are the side effects of fat dissolving injections
The vast majority of side effects from treatment with fat dissolving injections are mild and not permanent. Studies show that with each treatment side effects occur less frequently and to a lesser degree. The commonest side effect we see after treatment are as follows:
- Swelling around the area injected – We expect to see swelling. It means the treatment is working! In fact, we say please call us if it does not swell. We recommend not going back to work on the day of treatment and using ice on the neck intermittently in the hours after treatment.
- Temporary numbness under the chin. Approximately 50% of patients will feel this slight numbness after treatment, with symptoms wearing off after 30 days on average.
- Warmth and redness – 40% of patients will feel warmth or redness under the chin on the day of treatment.
- Firmess under the chin – Studies show that 16% of patients will feel firmness or ‘induration’ under the skin after treatment. This is not a worrying symptom and resolves, on average, after 51 days according to studies.
Rarer side effects such as temporary problems with weak smile and facial muscles and trouble swallowing (2%) have been reported.
The risk of affecting the smile is due to the small chance of temporarily affecting the marginal branch of the facial nerve. The anatomy of the nerves in the face differs from person to person and in 2% of treatments a small branch of the facial nerve can be affected. This would present as a temporary problem with the smile muscle (see image below). The affected side would be more difficult to perform a full smile. The problem is temporary and the average time to resolve is 44 days.
How effective are fat dissolving injections?
The website Realself.com allows patients to give a thumbs up or thumbs down for the treatment. 88% of patients having fat dissolving injections gave it a ‘thumbs up’.
Are fat dissolving injections safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding?
We do not recommend fat dissolving injections in pregnancy or when breastfeeding.