Finding the Best Nose Surgeon or Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon Sydney to get the Best Nose Job
Rhinoplasty and nose surgery are becoming more popular. The obsession with the perfect nose shape is quite understandable given it’s central location of the nose on your face. A rhinoplasty procedure can either help or detract from your nose. Given the high visibility of nose surgery, it only makes sense to want the best of the best nose surgeon Sydney to be performing the procedure. If the nose surgeon you choose has little training and skills and lacks experience, you may end up with a botched nose job that leaves your nose looking deformed and just plain weird.
Commonly referred to as a Nose Job, nose surgery or Rhinoplasty can reduce or increase the size of your nose, change the shape of the tip or the bridge, narrow the span of the nostrils, or change the angle between your nose and your upper lip. It may also correct a birth defect or injury and can even help relieve some breathing problems. Nose surgery is one of Sydney Plastic Surgeon Dr Jeremy Hunt’s specialities. As an experienced Facial Surgeon, he finds the key is to assess the proportions of your face and advise on the best procedures to enhance your features. When Dr Hunt performs a rhinoplasty, it is not just a standard procedure. Each nose surgery he performs is tailored to match the proportions of a patients face to achieve a harmonious balance.
What to look for in the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon or Best Nose Surgeon Sydney
When choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon for your nose job, research is the key.
Doctors and Surgeons have different levels of training and experience. When researching the best rhinoplasty surgeon, it is always important to look for:
- A Fully trained specialist surgeon: Look for the letters FRACS after the surgeon’s name, this indicates they are a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College Surgeons
- Member Australian Society Plastic Surgeons: Look for the letters ASPS
- Specialist training in rhinoplasty: Ask about any advanced training in rhinoplasty or nose procedures
- A high number of nose surgery cases per year: Ask for an average number of how many rhinoplasties the surgeon performs per year
- Professional standing: Read the surgeons bio, check where the surgeon works as better surgeons will work in the best hospitals
- Patient Service Levels and a Professional manner: Expect to be treated as an individual and you should always feel confident that the surgeon cares for your well-being
- Don’t be fooled: Expensive offices, elaborate marketing techniques and promises of the impossible don’t mean that you’ll get the best results from the nose surgeon
Remember: you are an individual and each nose is different. Your case needs to be assessed on an individual basis and the surgery specifically planned to meet your needs. This will take time and a surgeon who listens and who has the training and the experience should deliver the result you expect. If you don’t have a good feeling, then this is not the surgeon for you. If you have an open and honest understanding with a surgeon who listens to your needs, this is most likely to lead to the best nose job.
What’s the difference between a Cosmetic Surgeon and a Specialist Plastic Surgeon?
Finding the right surgeon for your procedure can be difficult. These procedures will alter the way you appear and the way you are perceived socially, so it is only understandable that you take time to choose the right surgeon for your procedure. However, before you can do that, you need to differentiate between a cosmetic surgeon and a plastic surgeon.
A 2017 report published in the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal found that most people do not understand the difference between a cosmetic surgeon and a plastic surgeon. This can end up being disastrous for the results of your procedure.
Plastic surgery has a number of different sub-specialties that include reconstructive plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery. The former is a surgical specialty that focuses on improving the function and aesthetics of different parts of the body that are affected by congenital defects, trauma, or injuries. As the name suggests, the purpose of this specialty is to reconstruct or repair the affected part of the body.
Cosmetic surgery, on the other hand, is a medical and surgical field that aims to enhance aesthetics and improve the appearance of the face. The purpose of these procedures is to improve the looks and not the function, which is why they are labeled as elective procedures. This also makes it difficult for you to be able to get reimbursement for these cosmetic procedures by Medicare.
A plastic surgeon that works in the sub-specialty of cosmetic surgery is very different from a so-called ‘cosmetic surgeon’ or undertrained cosmetic doctor, as they will have very different training and education. A plastic surgeon has to go through medical school, followed by a residence in plastic surgery. On completion of their training, the surgeon has to get certified with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS), and will often be a member of bodies such as the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). This RACS certification being referred to when it is said that a plastic surgeon is a board-certified surgeon.
A cosmetic surgeon goes through a less rigorous and less in-depth training path. The term cosmetic surgeon is not recognized by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) as are all plastic surgeons.
How to find the Best Nose Surgeon
Here are some helpful tips when you are looking for the best rhinoplasty surgeon. Make sure to do your own online research and also ask your family, friends and colleagues for suggestions. This can help you make a well-informed decision about which surgeon you want to perform the procedure.
1. Always Check Their Surgical Credentials
This should be the first step in your surgeon selection process. It is important to make sure that your surgeon is board-certified and has the necessary skill set to perform this procedure. Board certification ensures that the surgeon you have chosen has performed the necessary pieces of training and given all the required examinations. This proves that the surgeon is knowledgeable in the field.
After checking the certification, you need to check that your doctor is a Specialist Plastic Surgeon or ENT surgeon and a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS). If they are not then there is a high chance that they do not perform many rhinoplasty procedures and hence, do not have enough experience with rhinoplasty to achieve the results you are looking for. The best thing is to choose a board-certified plastic with an interest in cosmetic surgery who specializes in rhinoplasty. This ensures that your surgeon has expertise in the field and can perform the procedure to produce maximum aesthetic benefits and help you achieve the goals you set.
You should try to get some information on how many rhinoplasties has the surgeon performed in their career. It might also be helpful to determine how many different types of rhinoplasties can the surgeon perform. The reason this is important is that it speaks hugely about the skillset and versatility of the surgeon.
2. Ask your friends and medical advisors
Asking friends and loved ones for suggestions is another important thing to do before you decide on one specific cosmetic surgeon for your rhinoplasty. Your friends can share their experiences with you, and tell you what to look out for exactly. There may be aspects of your procedure that you haven’t even considered but your friends can help you realize all important aspects of the procedure.
Asking friends who have been previous patients of the surgeon you are choosing can be helpful as it gives you an idea about the communication skills and bedside manners of the surgeon. It is important to choose a surgeon who will communicate with you, and listen to you. If they keep giving their opinion and do not give you enough time to communicate your expectations and goals for the procedure, then they might not be the right choice for you.
The skillset of the surgeon doesn’t matter if the surgeon isn’t aware of what you want the results to be. A rhinoplasty is a personalized procedure and the expectations vary from patient to patient. If your surgeon has a reputation for not listening to their patients, the skillset is of no use.
Apart from that, your friends can provide an objection opinion, and stay unbiased. You are the one who has to go through the procedure and you may be overwhelmed with all the information at hand. Your friends can help you with that so you do not skimp on important aspects of the procedure like choosing the best surgeon for you.
3. Look at their results – Before and After Photos
Before you decide on one specific surgeon, you need to look at the pictures of the patients they have operated on. It is quite easy to find these pictures as they are often on the surgeon’s website. The before and after pictures will show you the skills of the surgeon, in not only performing the procedure but also hiding the scars well. Nobody wants visible scars from their plastic or cosmetic surgery, and if the pictures you find online have awkwardly visible scars, it might be worth looking into a different surgeon then.
When looking at these photos, try and find before and after pictures that are quite similar to your nose shape and structure. This will show you the surgeon’s abilities when it comes to your nose shape and structure. However, you should be careful of other pictures at the same time. Oftentimes, the plastic or cosmetic surgeon may be very well equipped with operating on a specific type of nose, and if your nose shape is one of those, it is great news otherwise, you should look for a different surgeon. See the Different Types of Noses – Nose Shapes & Surgical Options.
4. Read their Online Reviews from Past Patients
Reading reviews and testimonials online is like talking to the previous patients of the surgeon you have chosen. This gives you an insight into the personality and behaviors of the surgeon. The surgeon you choose will not only operate on you but you will also have to go for a consultation before the procedure and follow-ups after the procedure. If the surgeon has poor communication skills and those are mentioned in the reviews, it might be better for you to find a new surgeon because all aspects of your rhinoplasty journey are equally important and should be done properly.
A good surgeon should make you feel heard, and give you all the information about the procedure in a manner that you understand. If a surgeon cannot do that, you should search for a surgeon that can. The only way to find this about a surgeon, without going through it yourself, is to read online reviews.
What makes a Good Nose Surgeon Sydney?
A good nose surgeon should have the following qualities and characteristics:
- Is a Surgeon with FRACS, a plastic surgeon, or ENT surgeon with specialty in performing rhinoplasties and other cosmetic nose surgeries
- Your surgeon puts your safety and well-being first
- The surgeon communicates with you to achieve the expected results, without compromising on your health
- They are willing to explain the procedure, the risks and complications associated with it, and answer any related question in a manner that you can understand.
- Communicates with the patient without using medical terms and jargon that the patient cannot understand
- Helps the patient realize the importance of harmony of facial features, and understands this harmony themselves. This improves the chances of you receiving a nose shape that matches your expectations and fits in with your face
- Is willing to adapt to the new technologies used in cosmetic surgery
- Is always learning about the new procedures and improving the techniques used in the rhinoplasty procedure.
Although some of these attributes seem common and are shared amongst all surgical fields, you should still make sure that your surgeon has them. It is an easy way of ensuring that you are receiving the best possible healthcare.
FAQs about finding the Best Nose Surgeon Sydney
How do I find the best nose surgeon?
- You should ask your family, colleagues and friends, check their recommendations. Never take someone’s word that a surgeon is the best surgeon, follow up with your own online research.
- Check online reviews to read past patient opinions as well.
- Look for before and after pictures so you can see the results firsthand.
- Check your surgeon’s credentials with AHPRA and only choose a surgeon that is a specialist and has more than enough experience with rhinoplasty.
- The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) can direct you to a surgeon in your area, that has a special interest in the procedure you are considering
How do I check a plastic surgeon’s record?
- You can check your plastic surgeon’s record by looking them up on the Australian Medical Board. This will let you know about the certification of your surgeon and whether or not they are a specialist surgeon. Moreover, you can call your area’s medical board to check if the surgeon of your choosing has any malpractice lawsuits against them.
Which surgeons do rhinoplasty?
- Plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and otolaryngologists (ENT) surgeons can all perform rhinoplasties as their fields focus on nose anatomy and health.
Useful References on the best nose surgeon Sydney
- Healthgrades Article on finding the right doctor for nose surgery
- Newbodyspecialists article on best nose surgeons
- ASPS Article on Surgeon selection
- Realself article on finding the best rhino surgeon
- Read Dr Hunt’s Nose Surgery page
- See Dr Hunt’s Before and After gallery of Nose Surgery patients
- Read the 10 Questions to Ask Your Surgeon When Having Cosmetic Surgery
- Blog Ethnic Rhinoplasty – A Nose Job for different ethnic groups
About Dr Jeremy Hunt FRACS – Specialist Plastic Surgeon
Dr Jeremy Hunt is one of Australia’s leading specialist plastic surgeons for breast, body, face and nose surgery. He is a member of FRACS & ASPS and has over 20 years of experience providing expert cosmetic and plastic surgery in Sydney.
Careful, considerate and honest, Dr Jeremy Hunt works with you to find a solution that is best for your body and your lifestyle. Every patient is unique and, through his expert guidance,
Dr Hunt’s personal, one-on-one service and attention to detail has given thousands of women and men from the Sydney & Wollongong NSW area and across Australia the confidence and body shape they desire.
Dr Hunt’s qualifications and education
Dr Jeremy A Hunt MBBS FRACS graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine degree from Sydney University in 1990 and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgery. He completed a Fellowship at the prestigious University of Texas in the United States, where he learnt from some of the world’s very best plastic surgeons.
Next Step – Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Want more information before scheduling your consultation?
- Find out more about pricing, medical payment plans and paying for your surgery
- Request more information about the procedure – call on 1300 157 200 or contact us
If breast reduction is something you’re considering, Dr Hunt can thoroughly explain all the options to you in a one-on-one consultation.
- Make an Enquiry or Request a consultation with Dr Hunt
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health professional.